276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fresh Water for Flowers: OVER 1 MILLION COPIES SOLD

£9.9£99Clearance
ZTS2023's avatar
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023
82
63

About this deal

At some point Violette says that others speak about her life as though she did not exist, as though she was a problem to be solved, not a person; as though she was absent from her own story. gravediggers, groundskeepers, and a priest to her lodge there on the cemetery grounds who are her colleagues but also her close friends. Valérie Perrin gives us something a little different here while exploring grief and loss by using a cemetery as the setting. stars (Generously I will say that this is 20 percent of the book) and the remaining 80 percent I will give a charitable 1.

However difficult her life may be, Violette is always drawn to the warmth and the light, those eternal forces that give her optimism and a will to survive. This has been a real treat of a read that I have limited myself to a chapter here and there each evening, for this really is a book worth savouring. There’s something stronger than death, and that the presence of those absent in the memory of the living”. To zapach cynamonu i wanilii, to ciche słowa szeptane o zmierzchu i nucone pod nosem piosenki Elvisa.Come una vestale discreta cammina lungo i viali del camposanto, avendo l’intima consapevolezza che un giorno tutti i cimiteri diventeranno giardini. You will grow up elsewhere, among the murmurs of the world, in the Mediterranean, in Sasha’s garden, in the flight of a bird, at daybreak, at nightfall, through a young girl I will meet by chance, in the foliage of a tree, in the prayer of a woman, in the tears of a man, in the light of a candle, you will be reborn later, one day, in the form of a flower or a little boy, to another mother, you will be everywhere my eyes come to rest. Perrin included disconnected ramblings between Violette and her cemetery colleagues that went on and on! She began life as an orphan, made a bad marriage at a young age, has experienced an unspeakable personal tragedy and has only 2 close friends.

A recluse in a way, at night when it’s quiet and the people she interacts, with the gravediggers - Nono, Gaston, Elvis , the undertakers - the Lucchini brothers and the priest Cedric have left for the day.Violette’s routine is disrupted one day by the arrival of a local police chief, Julien Seul, who insists on depositing the ashes of his mother on the gravesite of a complete stranger. It doesn’t always happen this way and sometimes I feel as though I miss out from not reading the story in its original language.

quando se vive o que estou prestes a viver que se sabe que está tudo bem, que nada é grave, que o ser humano tem uma capacidade inaudita de se reconstruir, de cauterizar, como se houvesse várias camadas de pele umas sobre as outras. Philippe Toussaint is not a character that I liked, but Perrin builds him in such a way that I feel that I know him, that I’ve met him. However, the life she has become accustomed to begins to be upturned when she gets an unexpected visitor, a police detective from Marseille, Julien Seul, has been shocked by his recently dead mother's wish to have her ashes placed on the grave of well known lawyer, Gabriel Prudent.Julien’s arrival at the cemetery is the instigating incident for much of the novel’s present-day plot; the story of Julien’s mother Irène becomes an almost co-equal part of the novel, woven through Violette’s narrative by the inclusion of Irène’s diary.

With Fresh Water for Flowers, Valérie Perrin gives readers the funny, moving, intimately told story of a woman who believes obstinately in happiness. A beautiful and moving tale of a woman who is a caretaker at a cemetery, living alone and keeping a diary of every funeral she has attended to. There are scenes where anticipation is palpable and scenes where lovers are in bed together for days. Abandoned at birth, moving from foster home to foster home, she seeks solace in a marriage which isn’t a happy one. Sarà che l'esperienza di lettura è stata paragonabile a un giro in moto in cui ad ogni svolta non sai quale lo scenario cui ti troverai di fronte.Diz-se que não se deve julgar um livro pela capa, mas há um género de estética que me afasta imediatamente de um livro, que é o da(s) mulher(es) de costas, indício inevitável de um dramalhão ou de uma pieguice. Julien is not the only one to guard a painful secret: his mother's story of clandestine love breaks through Violette's carefully constructed defences to reveal the tragic loss of her daughter, and her steely determination to find out who is responsible.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment